Us at The Sampler, we tend to love Kanye. Whenever you say that in public to someone who doesn’t agree, though, they always seem to bring up every stance they can remember that Kanye’s ever taken and quiz you on if you side with EACH ONE. Well, Kanye-hater, no I don’t agree with everything he says. For instance, his opinions on who should win a Grammy are often subjective and misplaced. That’s where people usually take a stance against Kanye because a Taylor Swift fan will see his Taylor Swift vs. Beyoncé moment and instantly hate him. But they’re missing his main point that The Grammys is undeniably a false rating system. The “ratings” they care about are how many people are watching the show, not whether the “ratings” they give the artists in their categories are correct to what happened that year. The Grammys is a business that needs to make a profit, it’s very simple.
For those that see past what he says and instead see what he does, we appreciate him. Not many people on this Earth have such confidence in themselves that they’ll work their ass off to be one of the top people in pop culture. And not only did Kanye do that, while often times being his only supporter, once he gets there he risks it all with comments like “George Bush doesn’t care about black people” that will cause an entire nation to readdress itself, and whether they still like you if you are the bold one who makes the bold statements. What we appreciate about West is that he speaks from his heart and believes in himself, regardless of whether we believe in him or not. This single simple trait is what has given him Entertainment Weekly’s Album of the Decade, 21 Grammys, and an overall extremely successful career as a clothing designer. And this trait is something that is definitely lacking in the general public.
So in honor of this fearless figure at the top of culture, we’ve compiled some of his best quotes below. Try and read these with your bias put to the side and see if they resonate with you:
1. “If you have the opportunity to play this game of life you need to appreciate every moment. A lot of people don’t appreciate the moment until it’s passed.”
2. “I refuse to accept other people’s ideas of happiness for me, as if there’s a ‘one size fits all’ standard for happiness.”
3. “I want the world to be better! All I want is positive! All I want is dopeness!”
4. “If I don’t scream, if I don’t say something, then no one is going to say anything.”
5. “My greatest award is what I’m about to do.”
6. “People always tell you ‘be humble. Be humble.’ When was the last time someone told you to be amazing? Be great! Be great! Be awesome! Be awesome!”
7. “Justice could just be clearing a path for people to dream properly.”
8. “I just have to look as say, ‘What do I have to lose?’ We only have everything to gain.”
9. “Come on now! How could you be me and want to be someone else?”
10. “Criticism can both you but you should be more bothered if there’s no criticism. That means you’re too safe.”